Tuesday, April 15, 2008

San Jose at Calgary: Game 4 preview

Very Superstitious



This is a common thing in sports, especially in the playoffs, and most especially in the Stanley Cup playoffs...
 
I'm a little bit superstitious myself, as I stopped shaving after the series began last Wednesday night, and I don't plan on shaving my beard off until the Flames are out (of course, I'm not sure how that will go over at the weddings I'm to attend in late May and early June, but I'll take that risk)...
 
Of course, I can't let it run roughshod, as a beard should be maintained on occassion, so I figure that everytime the Flames lose a game, I'll give it a little trim so as not to turn into Jake Plummer. Yes, I realize that a number of hockey fans won't recognize this reference because he is the former quarterback of the Denver Broncos but he was reknowned for bringing the neckbeard back in vogue. Actually, that's not true, as a neck beard hasn't been considered stylish since the Dark Ages (probably because they couldn't see them?)...
 
Which brought to mind a number of other things that Flames bloggers have done over the last year or two that have absolutely no effect on the actual game itself (but somehow give us a little piece of mind). From me recording all of last years games on my PVR and watching them later, to WIs various jersey issues, to HGs pizza, and so on and so on, we just can't seem to stop...
 
But then it stops working (not that it really worked in the first place), so do we stop? No, we just start doing something else, which is the funny part. Since I watched the first game and have absolutely no recollection of the second game (I was really drunk downtown and didn't get home until after 3:00, so I assume that I watched the game, but I don't remember the game even starting, let alone finishing), I figure that I need to watch the game live for the boys to win (which is ironic when you think of last year), so I watched the third game and we won. Looking for a repeat tonight...
 
I was actually reading an article about player superstitions earlier, but you can't compare a fan's superstition to that of a player, as the player's might actually do something to affect the game. If talking to his goalposts calmed Patrick Roy down, and relacing his skates before every game helped Ray Bourque clear his head, then who am I to argue...
 
And I don't expect to stop doing it anytime soon, especially since I need to keep my beard in case I get called up for game 5...

2 comments:

walkinvisible said...

superstitions aside, now.

i'll be attending game 6 in my RBK. not for sure yet, but i'm doin' it if it comes up.

i don't think superstitions can help this team anymore.... only this team can help this team....

walkinvisible said...

i thought i'd respond to the toronto query on your site and not mine.

i was in town briefly late in june. duncan lives about 3 blocks from where i stay there, and it was sortof a spur-of-the-moment hookup.

fear not. if there's an 'outing' you'd be most definitely included...
;)