Thursday, October 25, 2007

Postgame - Wild

ST's Wide World of Sports


This isn't really a column about the game last night, although it may contain some post-game comments. Its more of a chance for me to reflect on a few things going on in the sports world right now that have caught my interest. I'll start off with the Flames and hockey and work my way out...

Flames news

I was near ready to forget watching the last couple of periods of the game last night after the Flames were down 3-0 after the first. Luckily my brother came home and wanted to watch Tuesday night's episode of House, so I decided to record the last couple of periods of the game and watch them afterwards (so that I could fast forward through it if I felt the need)...

Unfortunately I was watching the FSN North broadcast, which meant that I had to listen to the play-by-play of one Dan Terhaar, who is in his first year in the majors. Normally the comments as to what was good and bad is left to the colour guy (you know, the guy that usually actually played in the league, in this case Mike Greenlay, who did a bang-up job). During the Wild broadcast, Terhaar (coming off a stint as the play-by-play guy for the Golden Gophers as well as other regional college teams) seemed to be stunned every time that the Flames scored a goal, insisting that each one had been tipped or Backstrom had been screened in some horribly illegal way. Dude needs to relax and let Greenlay (a former NHL goalie) do his job. I can't believe there is actually a guy out there that could take lessons from Roger Millions...

It was nice to see Tanguay pot a couple of goals, and Dion's fight was pretty sweet (although unfortunate that he had to go to the box opposite some scrub from the Wild)...

Also annoying was my brother's hinting every time that Calgary was about to score a goal. I may have to do the same thing when his beloved Habs play again some time in the near future (tonight?)...


Hockey news

You know how most channels have a give away during the hockey game where fans can win a phone or a vacuum cleaner or a million dollars if a certain players scores? Well, I was watching the Carolina game last night, and apparently down there you can win a John Deere is somebody scores a hat trick. Granted its a lawn mower and not a tractor, but still... stereotypes exist for a reason...

I was also made aware for the first time last night that the incoming head of the NHLPA, Paul Kelly, is also the guy that prosecuted Alan Eagleson. How was this not considered a big deal? He should have gotten the job for damn near that fact alone...

In a related news story, Eric Lindros will most likely become the first ombudsman (person?) for the NHLPA, meaning that he has decided that his playing career is all but over. He just has to hope that, as the liaison between the NHLPA management and the players, somebody doesn't get mad at him for something and punch him in the head during an argument...

Sports News

I'm sure that everyone is aware that the Red Sox beat the Rockies 13-1 at Fenway last night. I actually kind of saw this one coming, not that I wanted to. My only question is that, if the Yankees are the Evil Empire, representative of the empire from Star Wars, who do the Red Sox represent? They sure as hell aren't the rebels. Maybe we have it mixed up and the Red Sox are actually the Empire, while the Yankees are the Trade Federation? Am I thinking into this a little too much? Uhmmm... Go Rockies!!!



My beloved Chargers are being forced to move their home game against the Houston Texans for this coming Sunday due to the fires in Southern California (Qualcomm Stadium is being used as a shelter for the misplaced). The current leader in the quest for an alternate site is Dallas (Texas Stadium, where the Cowboys play). Which makes me wonder if there isn't a better alternate location that would be more agreeable to the Charger faithful, and not quite as favourable to the Houston fans (not that there are that many hardcore ones, as can be seen by the empty stadium last Sunday after the third quarter). I realize that there are a number of colleges and other teams in the Southwest that would be using some of the larger stadiums (as well as other events, such as a motocross event at University of Phoenix Stadium (where the Chargers are practicing this week). With the LA Colesium, the Rose Bowl and numerous other college stadiums just to the North, there should be something just up the San Diego Freeway. There should at least be something closer than Dallas! I do realize that Dallas is an airline hub, but you don't go tailgating in a rental car (how do you take a barbecue with you on a plane?). This would be like the Flames having to change a home game against the Phoenix Coyotes to Los Angeles because the scoreboard at the Saddledome collapsed and there was a circus at the rink in Winnipeg...

No comments: