Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Playoff Predictions - Round 1

Crapshoot...


I figure that I might as well put my guesses for each series out there now, as I don't think I'll be done my Flames vs Wings preview until sometime tomorrow (hopefully before the puck drops in Detroit)...


Eastern Conference


(1) Buffalo Sabres vs (8) New York Islanders

This is the one series that I could see only lasting 4 games. With DiPietro out, I just don't have any faith in Dubielewicz or Dunham to get the job done between the pipes for the Islanders. Heck, even with Ricky in minding the mesh, I'd still take this Sabres team to sweep the series. The four lines they roll are just that good...

Sabres in 4


(2) New Jersey Devils vs (7) Tampa Bay Lightning

I have no idea how the NHL thinks they can screw over CBC this badly by taking away a Saturday night Senators - Penguins game giving them this one as the Saturday night matchup instead. Seriously. This is going to be one of the least memorable series in Stanley Cup playoff history. Of course, you can say that about just about every New Jersey series. I'm so happy I won't be staying in Saturday night (not that I stay in any other night either, but I'm just saying)...

Devils in 6 very long and boring games (may not technically take forever, but it sure will seem like it)


(3) Atlanta Thrashers va (6) New York Rangers

This is one of those series that the people against divisional seeds will hold up as a reason to get rid of an automatic top 3 seed for divisional winners. And for very good reason. Although I have a feeling that the Rangers are fine with it, as otherwise they'd be playing Ottawa or Pittsburgh and who would want that (besides Gary Bettman). Atlanta has a pretty decent young goaltender and some strong scorers, but are weak at the back end. Of course, the same could be said about the Rangers. I just think the team from Manhattan is gelling a lot more right now...

Rangers in 6


(4) Ottawa Senators vs (5) Pittsburgh Penguins

This is being regarded as the marquee matchup of the first round, and for good reason. Both these clubs play fast, exciting hockey and feature a star player that was a phenom as a junior. Pittsburgh has a young squad that has really come around the last half of the season, while Ottawa hasn't exactly been sitting on its heels after a bad start. This series really could go either way, but I'll take the more experienced Senators for this year (and probably the Penguins if there was a rematch next year)...

Senators in 7


Western Conference


(1) Detroit Red Wings vs (8) Calgary Flames

Obviously I'm a whole lot biased in this one. I think the Flames have underperformed all season and are ready to come out of their funk. Of all the matchups that Calgary could have had, this is the one that best suits them. I think they match up quite favourably against the Red Wings and will surprise a fair number of people. But for more of my analysis, just check out my more in depth preview...

Flames in 6


(2) Anaheim Ducks vs (7) Minnesota Wild

The not so mighty Ducks have had a fairly potent offence all season and with Giguere faltering a little of late, have needed to rely on scoring to keep them atop the Pacific division. Unfortunately for them, the Wild don't play that style. Minnesota relies on being smart in their own end, and also have an offensive punch in Rolston and Gaborik. As good as the dynamic duo of Pronger and Niedermayer are on the point for Anaheim, I just don't think they'll get the power play opportunities that they'll need in this series...

Wild in 7

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs (6) Dallas Stars

I hate the ocean going spawns of satan and really wish that the Wild had passed them for the division lead. That being said, I think everyone knows of Marty Turco's history in the playoffs and his less than stellar record in the last few series especially. I also think that Luongo will steal at least one series, so it might as well be this one...

Canucks (ugh) in 5

(4) Nashville Predators vs (5) San Jose Sharks

Odd that the two best series will most likely be the 4 vs 5 in each conference. Of course, without the divisional seeding, this wouldn't have happened, but I'm not complaining (as it doesn't really affect my Flames anyway). With the addition of Forsberg, the Predators have added more scoring talent to a team that was already the highest scoring in the Western Conference. Although I do think that he offset the consistency that the team previously had. San jose is nothing to sneeze at though, with Thornton, Cheechoo, Marleau, and Guerin. Both teams have excellent goaltending tandems (which are often important in the playoffs - just ask greaser fans), so its a toss up there. I just don't have any confidence in the Sharks young blueline, so that will have to be my decider...

Predators in 7

No comments: