Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Postgame - Avalanche

That could have gone better...





Hmmm, that was not the outcome I was looking for...

A chance for our boys to finish off their only remaining competition for the final playoff spot in our own barn and we missed it...

Not cool...

From what I saw of the last two periods, it doesn't look like the Avalanche outplayed us at all, they just got some better bounces...

And the questionable calls from the boys in stripes...

I think that most of us in Flamesland have resolved ourselves to taking the eighth spot in the playoffs and figure that this game didn't mean much since we still have an 'easy' game against the greasers on Saturday night. And especially since that game will be in the rink of the most dominant home team in the league, that the win is pretty much given...

But I'd rather not rely on that. We have an excellent chance on Thursday night to make a real statement with a road win in the barn of one of the top teams in the Western Conference, and I don't mean the Wild. I mean a team that actually has an explosive offense, with a young, experienced defence and a couple of solid options between the pipes...

The boys blew their chance tonight, but I think they will look at this as one of those rare 'good losses'. The ones that knock you off your pedestal a little bit and let you know that things aren't going to be a walk in the park for the rest of the season. After that 4-0 road trip maybe they needed that. They still have plenty of more opportunities to lock up that final spot, so the wakeup call tonight could have been a good thing...

I actually made the trip downtown (relative to where I live anyway) after my own hockey game to catch the Flames on the big screen(s) at Shoeless Joe's with Walk Invisible and Duncan tonight. We discussed some Flames issues over beer and wings while watching the game that I otherwise would have only gotten to listen to on the radio. Not that there is anything wrong with that option either...

Its always nice to be able to put faces to names (or in some cases, nicknames), and I don't think I could have found better company in the city of Toronto for the game tonight (except maybe if the rest of our little Flames blog community could have made it as well)...

Really looking forward to Sunday night, and hoping that I make it back down to the Big Smoke in time to catch the opening faceoff this time...

Also kinda hoping that the game doesn't matter anymore either...

Oh yeah, and I totally picked Friesen to score a goal tonight (of course, I also picked the Flames to win 5-1, but still)...

1 comment:

MacS said...

I think you're on track regarding losing a couple putting us back on track. Better we are forced to look in the mirror today rather than game 1.