7:30 p.m. MST
Atlanta @ Calgary
- Atlanta comes into town tonight on a bit of a slide (2-5-0-1 in their last 7 games), and 1-2 on their current Northwest division road trip, with that win being a sound thrashing (pun intended) of the Avalanche in Denver 6-3.
- As you are all aware, the boys are coming home from a less than acceptable 3 game road trip, which saw them pick up one point after giving away two third period leads, as well as the departure of Andrew Ference and Chuck Kobasew in return for Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau.
- Miikka Kiprusoff will be looking to return to his Vezina form after a very un-Vezina outing on Sunday when he allowed 3 goals on only 11 shots in the first period against the Red Wings.
- The top players all seem to be in a bit of a daze right now, with Jeff Friesen having as many goals in his last 4 games (2) as Jarome Iginla, Craig Conroy, Daymond Langkow, Alex Tanguay, Dion Phaneuf, and Matthew Lombardi combined (and the same number as Kristian Huselius).
- You may want to read that last sentence again.
- The dangerous players for the Thrashers are obviously Marian Hossa, Ilya Kovalchuk, and Vyacheslav Kozlov, who should not be taken lightly by anyone, at any time. Hossa and Kozlov took down Colorado almost by themselves (both went 2-2-4).
- Seriously, Friesen has 2 goals in the last 4 games.
- Kari Lehtonen will most likely be in net for Atlanta and has quietly been having a good year down in Georgia.
My prediction for tonight is a solid game by the boys over a not so currently solid opponent, 5-2. Goals coming from Iginla (2), Langkow, David Moss, and Phaneuf for the good guys, and Hossa and Eric Belanger for the guys in the ugly jerseys...
Although it might actually be a safer prediction to have added a goal by Friesen. I mean seriously...
And here's to hoping that Andrew Ference can help the Oilers to another loss tonight...