Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I'll miss you Marty!


At the beginning of my blog, I warned you there'd be posts like this (cause sometimes I just need to get things out)...


In addition to being a Flames fan, I am also a long time fan of the San Diego Chargers, who fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer last night...


I'm a little split on this issue, as he did a lot to raise the team from the dredges of the NFL to get them to not only respectability, but the NFLs best record (14-2) this past season. However, he also occasionally has brain farts at the end of important games, as shown by his career 5-12 record in the playoffs. There were a couple of these questionable acts at the end of this past season's playoff loss to the Patriots (which would have been mute if Marlon McCree knew to bat down a ball on fourth down)...


I'm sure that if it wasn't for his consistent head-bashing with GM A.J. Smith, he would still be standing on the sidelines at Qualcomm next season. Or if he hadn't lost both coordinators and two of his assistant coaches in the past two weeks...


Now the question remains as to who is still available, as most quality coaching options have been nabbed, although I'm sure that with the strength of the team overall, San Diego doesn't have to hurry too much right now. The Chargers are perhaps the strongest team overall right now, and have no easily discernible weakness to turn away any potential coaching prospects...


I'm sure that every coach in search of a job was faxing his resume to Dean Spanos within minutes of hearing of the firing, but I honestly can't think of who I would want right now...


As much as I can't stand the guy, maybe Parcells changes his mind about retirement now...

No comments: