Friday, February 2, 2007

Who is this guy? A questionnaire for... myself...


Real Name?

Randy Smith

Nickname?

Well, I have a bunch. Stealing Thunder I got during university from my fraternity (yes they do have fraternities in some Canadian universities). Apparently I had a tendency to let the cat out of the bag whenever one of the guys had a big announcement for the rest of the chapter (like if he was getting engaged or he got a new job). Other nicknames I have or have had include 'Sparkplug', 'GI Joe', 'Harry's Clothes', 'Opie 1', 'Randu', 'Randy Pants', 'Stud', and a bunch of others that I can't think of right now. But my fraternity nickname when I graduated was 'Elaine Benis', cause apparently I'm not the most graceful dancer...

Height/ weight?

5' 8", 165 lbs. Yes, I'm not exactly tall. However, somehow I am the tallest person in my family. When I made a reference to being 'hammered' on the ice, I am the one that usually gets hammered. I'm small and quick, so there are only a limited number of ways for big, slow defencemen to take me out of a play...

Age?

Okay, I'm 30. But one of the guys on my floor hockey team the other night thought I was 20 or 21, so apparently I don't look my age...

Hometown?

Haliburton, Ontario (home of Bernie Nichols and Ron Stackhouse - bonus points if you know what his claim to fame in the NHL was). I did my university at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, my post grad at Sir Sandford Fleming in Lindsay, and now I work in Toronto. Despite my allegiances to Calgary teams, I have never lived in Alberta...

Favourite teams?

I like the Flames, obviously. I started following the Flames in the early 80's when the Oilers won their first cup. The Flames weren't bad at the time and I wouldn't cheer for the best team at the time. I was around 8 at the time, which is about the age range when most serious sports fans choose their favourite teams. It turned out well for me later when my twin brother turned into a Habs fan and I've been bugging him ever since about who the only visiting team to win the Stanley Cup in the Montreal Forum is...

I've liked the San Diego Chargers since the late 80's, when I started to get into the NFL. Between the Flames and the Chargers, the late 90's and early 2000's were some rough years for me, but everything has been turning around lately...

I started following the Calgary Stampeders when I started following the Flames and was a huge Doug Flutie fan. I was especially excited when he went to the Chargers and I still cheer for Garcia (the only time I have ever cheered for the Eagles)...

My brother-in-law went to Texas Tech university for law school, so I started cheering for the Red Raiders way back then. They have one of the most proficient football offences in NCAA football and I actually like Bobby Knight...

I cheer for the Blue Jays, Raptors and Rock here in Toronto, as I wasn't put off by any of their fans when I first moved here, because there really weren't that many of them...

Uhm, anything else?

Feel free to ask me any questions in the comments section, as I will try to answer...

1 comment:

HG said...

Wow. You really put it all out there. :P

I cheer for the Blue Jays, Raptors and Rock here in Toronto, as I wasn't put off by any of their fans when I first moved here, because there really weren't that many of them...

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. I too, cheer for the Jays. I am coming along on the Raptors at a snail's pace and have thought about attending a Rock game. I will though, go to a Toronto FC game once the season is upon us.